Saturday 9 May 2009

What's tying tonight...



It’s blowing a hoolie outside at the moment and I’ve been tying over the last couple of days for a bit of fun and relaxation. I watched an online tutorial which included reverse tying bucktail to give more body to the fly. I have to say I may have become a convert to it as it does give more control of the fibres and keeps the body shape as well.

The other thing I’ve wanted to tie for a while is a popper… but stopped short of buying popper heads… anyway rifling through a few boxes I came across an ideal donor or two! Anyway I tied a prototype popper and tested it last night. There weren’t any takers sadly but boy did it pop and gurgle! I’ve never had a surface take on a popper and it didn’t fly badly either, so here's hoping.

I’m not going to tell you what the popper head is made of just at the moment… I thought of running a bit of a competition to see who can guess the answer (and no there isn’t a prize, just the glory of getting it right).

Q: What have I made the popper’s head out of?

Answer please via the comment box.

6 comments:

All about the grab said...

Earplug

David Edwards said...

Could have let them a week or so Simon :-)

All about the grab said...

I've just bought 200 pairs from a factory warehouse for 10 quid. They make great heads.If you turn them around you have a fantastic slider and on an intermediate line they work even better.

David Edwards said...

Yeah was going to reverse them as well... I put epoxy on mine... you doing the same??

All about the grab said...

Yes,just gives them a bit more rigidness. Also good to poke some thin rubber legs through them once in a while.
Come summer time when you get that 1st slam you'll understand why I rave so much about surface lures.

David Edwards said...

Yeah the epoxy was good on this fella! Have you got a link for your supplier of plugs?