Wednesday 3 April 2013

BUG-BOND have you made the connection yet?



It’s been documented here in my blog and social media sites in addition to fly fishing magazines the other uses of BUG-BOND.

The first that I’ll recap on is the creation of a loop on the end of the fly line or connecting braided loops to a fly line.


The first documented test of BUG-BOND used in this way was by Tom Gorman on his annual sailfish pilgrimage… in 2010 we had spit outs as well as a shortage of fish, in 2011 Tom had his first sail on the fly his connections were BUG-BOND… here is the link to that original blog post  http://deesox.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/bug-bond-and-first-sailfish.html

The next loop connection article was published in “Total Flyfisher Magazine” in May last year and was written by Barry Ord Clarke “The Confessions of a Glue Addict”… and this was reproduced in part here http://deesox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/bug-bond-how-to-on-rod-and-line.html . Barry’s loop was the creation of a new welded loop on the flyline… I tested this method on my own Scientific Angler’s Mastery Pike WF9 fly line… almost 12 months on and the loop is still functioning perfectly.


For my recent trip to Norway I had a ruck of new fly lines in front of me and no factory loops on any of the lines. I also took the opportunity to take old fly lines and renew the loops that had been placed on the fly lines many years ago. Speed and ease is the name of the game especially when you are up against a fast approaching deadline!



I selected Roman Moser Minicon trout loops… I have always used them – there are others but I had these to hand. Now this is really a very simple operation…



·         Follow the instructions on the Roman Moser packet in placing the loop on the fly line

·         Instead of solvent based 24 hour curing adhesives and cyanoacrylates “super glues” use BUG-BOND Original or Lite… I preferred using BUG-BOND Lite due to better capillary action

·         With the hand strap of the BUG-BOND UV light hang it from your fly tying lamp and switch it on
·         On the braid encased fly line place a drop of BUG-BOND Lite  - small amount and ensure that you coat fully the tip of the fly line (NOT the loop).

·         With the nail that is supplied with the Roman Moser loops place the loop under tension and whilst rotating backward and forward to keep the BUG-BOND Lite coating nice and even place it under the light and expose it to the UV light

·         Release the tension on the loop and there you have it - a smooth, flexible and strong connection




Roman Moser Minicon trout loops are designated as 8kg/16lb – By following the Roman Moser instructions and applying BUG-BOND Lite and then testing on a spring balance we registered a weight of 20lbs without failure of the loop or the connection.


3 comments:

James O Durbin II said...

I no longer use the braided loops as I have had them come off. I use the super glue version, but i do a mono 10 lb nail knot over the line and then super glue. Actually use Zap a gap, since it is less likely to hurt the flyline or leader.

David Edwards said...

James... During testing I like to try all versions of doing the job :D This was just one of them... and BUG-BOND doesn't hurt the fly line or leader either... thanks for your comment.

David Edwards said...

How I hate the view in Explorer... better in Chrome or Firefox!